Alcogal advises public and private corporations, financial institutions, investment banks, and government entities from around the world on almost any type of transaction or corporate matter. Our lawyers take a very pragmatic approach to our clients’ needs: we seek to add value in any and every facet of our clients’ businesses.
Alcogal continues to participate in most of Panama’s landmark business and financial transactions. Our skilled team of corporate attorneys and professional staff advise on both domestic and international matters concerning, among others: mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, real estate and investment management.
- We advised Celsia S.A., E.S.P. as local counsel, in the acquisition of 51% of the issued and outstanding shares of Bahía Las Minas (the largest thermic power generator in Panama), as well as the acquisition of 100% of the issued and outstanding shares of Alternergy, S.A., Suez Energy Central America, S.A. and Bontex, S.A., all property of Suez Energy International Luxembourg, a subsidiary of GDF Suez, for USD$840 million, which is the largest private transaction in Panama in 2014.
- We acted as local counsel to Equity International, a shareholder in the holding company Terranum Hotels S. de R.L, in the acquisition by this holding company of Decameron Hotels and six of its subsidiaries.
- We advised Cable & Wireless Panama, S.A. in the acquisition of 12 corporations within Grupo Sonitel for USD$41.3 million.
- We represented Julius Baer in Panama in relation to its global acquisition of Merrill Lynch’s International Wealth Management business (ex-US) from Bank of America.
- We represented OLAM International in its acquisition of several forestry assets throughout Panama.
- We represented Grupo Banistmo in HSBC’s acquisition of Banistmo for USD$1.8 billion.
- Advised Spain’s Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, S.A. (BBVA) in connection with the sale of its subsidiary bank in Panama to Colombia’s Grupo Aval.
- We represented Citibank on its acquisition of Grupo Cuscatlan for approximately USD$1.4 billion.
- We represented Citibank on its acquisition of Grupo Financiero Uno for approximately USD$1.3 billion.
- We advised ICA in connection with all matters related to the construction of a ring road around Panama City.
- We acted as Panamanian counsel to Vancouver’s First Quantum Minerals Ltd. which completed its estimated USD$5.1 billion acquisition of Toronto-based Inmet Mining Corp., which owns Minera Panama, S.A., which has a concession for one of the largest copper mine development projects in Latin America. We continue to advise the buyer regarding its Panamanian operations.
- We advised Icatech Corporation in the sale of the Corredor Sur, one of the main highways of Panama City, to Empresa Nacional de Autopistas, S.A. (ENA), a government entity, for approximately USD$420 million.