Our litigation and arbitration practice is best known for handling our clients’ most important, complex and novel disputes. Alcogal’s team of seasoned trial lawyers and arbitration specialists advise clients on matters of administrative proceedings before public agencies, Supreme Court litigation, civil and business litigation, appellate litigation, antitrust, banking and financial services litigation, international arbitration, labor and immigration disputes, mediation, telecommunications litigation, among others.
- We acted as counsel to Copa Airlines in a $11.3 million antitrust litigation brought by Colombian airline Aces, which resulted in a final ruling favorable to Copa that recognized the legality of code-share agreements between airlines, a landmark decision for the industry in Panama.
- We acted as counsel to Citibank in a $17 million judicial claim filed by Nicolas Nicholson and Pro Communications, in which the Supreme Court upheld the judgments issued by lower courts acquitting Citibank.
- We advised GUPC in its arbitration proceedings before the DAB, which resulted in a $235 million favorable ruling. We are currently representing the same client in another $180 million arbitration proceeding.
- We represented Nordion Inc. in a tort-based lawsuit in which the plaintiffs are claiming over $300 million in damages related to an accident which took place at the Instituto Oncológico Nacional de Panamá.
- We advised Crimson Logic in its negotiation with Panama’s National Customs Authority regarding the SIGA software which is an internal control system used by the Authority.
- We advised TARSCO in its negotiations with Melones Oil Terminal regarding the construction and development of an oil terminal in Melones Island (Pacific – Panama).
- We advised Hyundai Heavy Industries Miraflores Power Plant regarding the civil claims it is facing, and a multimillion arbitration proceeding that the company plans to present.
- We negotiated equity investment into joint venture project to develop a major port facility with PSA for and on behalf of Sociedad Latinoamericana de Inversiones. Prevented breakdown in negotiations, while securing attractive valuation for client.
- We negotiated on behalf of Grupo Lakas to reach a settlement in an attempt to formally end an arbitration proceeding between client and AEI, both shareholders in a Peruvian power generation outfit called Fenix Power.