Energy and Natural Resources
Alcogal is one of the most experienced
energy law firms in Panama
We focus on all types of transactions related to the energy and natural resources sectors, including mergers and acquisitions, regulatory compliance and optimization, project finance and project developments.
Our lawyers in Panama regularly advise domestic and foreign developers and/or operators in regards to both renewable and non-renewable energy projects. Among other key players in the energy sector, we represent one of the largest distributors of electrical power in the country as their energy law firm in Panama.
With respect to natural resources, our firm has been involved in the largest transactions in the country, including several in the mining sector. We represent clients in the oil wholesale and retail sectors, as well as in the electricity generation and distribution sectors.
Our team regularly handles public and private deals across the energy value chain, structuring and documenting complex joint ventures, investments and financing, and acquisitions and divestitures.
Navigating the increasingly complex and multi-layered regulatory landscape that underpins the energy sector can seem all-consuming. Our lawyers counsel energy and natural resources market stakeholders on a full range of legal issues.
In an increasingly complex global market, we can plot a course through obstacles to help you achieve a competitive advantage and minimize risk.
We combine strong legal skills with deep industry knowledge.
Our expertise extends to asset disposition, restructuring, portfolio securitization, credit enhancement and political risk mitigation techniques, as well. In order to support this range of products and industries, our group regularly draws upon other lawyers and professionals within the firm who have expertise in fields such as M&A securitization, energy regulation, tax, bankruptcy, litigation, environmental regulation and international trade.
Developing and financing complex renewable energy projects demands a forward thinking and a multidisciplinary approach. Alcogal’s seasoned practitioners build on the firm’s strength in energy to fashion creative solutions that meet client’s objectives.
- We advised The Shell Company (W.I.) Limited in the sale of their distribution (retail) business in Panama to Petroleos Delta, S.A.
- We advised Acon Renewables B.V. in the acquisition of controlling interest of Hidrotenencias, S.A. (a hydroelectric generation plant).
- We advised Puma Energy in the acquisition of the shares of companies of the Esso Group, which operate in the Republic of Panama.
- We represent BW Ventures S.A. and Empresas Publicas de Medellin in Panama on an ongoing basis.
- We advised Latin America Power / ERSA-Energias Renovaveis / GMR Energia, S.A. in connection with investment opportunities in the Panamanian energy sector.
- We represented Gas Natural Atlantico and Costa Norte LNG Terminal in the financing of the first liquefied natural gas project in Panama.
- We advised AES Panama.
- We advised Celsia in successful acquisition of GDF Suez assets.
- We assisted Cable and Wireless.