Corporate and M&A
Alcogal, as a mergers and acquisitions law firm in Panama, advises public and private corporations, financial institutions, investment banks, and government entities from around the world on almost any type of transaction or corporate matter. Our lawyers in Panama take a very pragmatic approach to our client’s needs: we seek to add value in any and every facet of our client’s businesses.
Our clients rely on our advice to help understand and assess these options and execute their most complex transactions.
Clients value our innovative approach and the high degree of individualized attention. Our goal is to deliver superior service, earn your trust and build our relationship.
Our knowledge and experience enable us to devise creative deal structures, win auctions, design acquisition and disposal programs and implement productive strategies for acquirers, sellers or acquisition targets.
Our Mergers and Acquisitions clients include leading multinationals and other corporations, major commercial and investment banks, private equity funds, entrepreneurs and smaller visionaries.
Our Approach as a Mergers and Acquisitions law firm in Panama
Alcogal’s approach to M&A combines our corporate expertise with our deep understanding of regulated industries and our commercial approach. This combination enables our clients to structure their transactions most advantageously and with a view towards meeting their legal and business objectives.
Each client has access to Alcogal’s full resources, including industry expertise and substantive due diligence areas such as intellectual property, environmental, benefits, and tax with lawyers experienced in M&A processes and time demands.
Alcogal continues to participate in most of Panama’s landmark business and financial transactions.
Our skilled team of corporate attorneys and professional staff advise on both domestic and international matters concerning, among others:
• Mergers and acquisitions
• Joint ventures
• Financial institutions
• Investment management.
• Natural resources, including energy and mining
• Real estate
The firm’s M&A clients include:
• Public and private companies, ranging from multinational corporations to emerging companies
• Private equity and other financial sponsors, including venture capital and sovereign wealth funds
• Boards of directors and their special committees
• Financial advisors
- We advised Celsia S.A., E.S.P. as local counsel, in the acquisition of 51% of the issued and outstanding shares of Bahía Las Minas (the largest thermic power generator in Panama), as well as the acquisition of 100% of the issued and outstanding shares of Alternergy, S.A., Suez Energy Central America, S.A. and Bontex, S.A., all property of Suez Energy International Luxembourg, a subsidiary of GDF Suez, for USD$840 million, which is the largest private transaction in Panama in 2014.
- We acted as local counsel to Equity International, a shareholder in the holding company Terranum Hotels S. de R.L, in the acquisition by this holding company of Decameron Hotels and six of its subsidiaries.
- We advised Cable & Wireless Panama, S.A. in the acquisition of 12 corporations within Grupo Sonitel for USD$41.3 million.
- We represented Julius Baer in Panama in relation to its global acquisition of Merrill Lynch’s International Wealth Management business (ex-US) from Bank of America.
- We represented OLAM International in its acquisition of several forestry assets throughout Panama.
- We represented Grupo Banistmo in HSBC’s acquisition of Banistmo for USD$1.8 billion.
- We advised Citigroup in the sale of its operations in Panama and Costa Rica to Scotiabank.
- Advised Spain’s Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, S.A. (BBVA) in connection with the sale of its subsidiary bank in Panama to Colombia’s Grupo Aval.
- We represented Citibank on its acquisition of Grupo Cuscatlan for approximately USD$1.4 billion.
- We represented Citibank on its acquisition of Grupo Financiero Uno for approximately USD$1.3 billion.
- We advised ICA in connection with all matters related to the construction of a ring road around Panama City.
- We acted as Panamanian counsel to Vancouver’s First Quantum Minerals Ltd. which completed its estimated USD$5.1 billion acquisition of Toronto-based Inmet Mining Corp., which owns Minera Panama, S.A., which has a concession for one of the largest copper mine development projects in Latin America. We continue to advise the buyer regarding its Panamanian operations.
- We advised Icatech Corporation in the sale of the Corredor Sur, one of the main highways of Panama City, to Empresa Nacional de Autopistas, S.A. (ENA), a government entity, for approximately USD$420 million.
- We advised Grande Investment Corp. in the successful acquisition of a controlling interest.
- We advised Banco Panamá with its acquisition by Banco Aliado.